Market new start-up, FreeHand’s unique business model: when consumers buy a bag of FreeHand dog food, another bag is donated to an animal shelter. With the concept of community crucial to the brand, and their marketing budget going to help dogs in need, FreeHand needed a to activate and engage a large audience on an ongoing, cost-effective basis.
We decided to generate a digital grassroots movement to promote the mission to save dogs as the lead message and then eventually market FreeHand’s products. We needed to establish an enthusiastic and empowered social media community positioned to be strong advocates for the FreeHand brand and their core mission: to save dogs.
Our strategy included:
- Running highly-targeted Facebook ads to grow community and attract followers in FreeHand’s key demographic
- Used Facebook apps for promotions to reward users for sharing the page with friends and for giving back to their communities
- Developed a points & rewards system within a Facebook app that collected photo & video content from users in exchange for points toward cool FreeHand swag
- Maintained an editorial calendar that tracked the engagement generated by different posts to optimize social media content
- Built a fast growing digital grassroots movement accelerating activism and engagement with Freehand’s community.
- Grew Facebook likes to over 60,000 fans before announcing any product information
- Expanded viral reach to reach almost 300,000 Facebook users
- Consistently had >10% of the Facebook audience “talking about this”
- Outperformed larger competitors with increased month-over-month Facebook growth, and eventually more total fans
- Collected over 300 photo and video submissions from fans and their dogs via the custom Facebook application
<< Return to Case Studies